I finally have a week at home after working away in Sweden for the last 5 weeks. I have a backlog of many small projects and experiments related to eLearning. I’d like to provide a snapshot here, partly to encourage me & also in case you’d like to help somehow.
- Test RACHEL on the new Raspberry Pi Model 2 B+. I bought six of these cute, more powerful units a month ago. I need to update the kernel on an existing RACHEL Pi image so the software will boot on the new model.
- Explore with reducing the runtime memory to see if we can get RACHEL to run adequately on the Raspberry Pi Model A+ devices (with 256MB RAM). Damien already discovered one of the web servers is using 10’s of MB of RAM to simply redirect a web browser from port 80 to ka-lite in one of the older RACHEL distribution. We should be able to slim down the memory footprint with a little experimentation and might even be able to improve the performance in other ways.
- See if I can create a working LibraryBox image to run in a TP-Link mini-router.
- Try ka-lite for Android on a Tablet device
- Then there are lots of tasks related to improving the management and deployment of RACHEL
- Plan my workshop for eLearning-Africa conference, on 20th May in Addis Adaba, Ethiopia.
- Write/publish various articles related to the field-trials of the Android Tablets and Raspberry Pi’s.
- Help volunteers at Cognizant who have asked for manuals to help people get involved in aspects of the project e.g. translating ka-lite, and some of the content used in RACHEL.
- Helping the OPTE school in Santiago, Chile to guide a teacher in the use of ka-lite with teaching mathematics to class 4 pupils.
- Experiment with the 3 recently arrived BRCK devices. One was a replacement for my early kickstarter device and the other 2 are potentially for pilot projects in the field.
- Ongoing tests of the reliability of Raspberry Pi’s, the SD-Cards, etc.
- Testing alternatives to the Raspberry Pi’s
I suspect there’s lots more I’ve forgotten to include. However this might enough suggestions of where people might be able to help.